Sunday, June 3, 2012

"Life of a Young Minister"

           So, it's one week ago on today that I preached only my 3rd sermon. I feel an adrenaline rush every time the time for me to speak what the Lord has prepared for me to say to his people. That being said, weather is just my pastor and myself going over my sermon, or I'm preaching in front of a crowd of 100+, or a room of only 8-15 people, or even if I'm just doing the benediction, I get nervous. I feel courage & have strength in the Lord, but its that moment that I walk to the podium, turn around to try and speak to a thirsty group of Gods people in need of a word, that the anxiety intensifies. Especially when I have to sing in front of a room full of closely knit people. Before, I could hide, and at the same time stand out in my section of the mass choir. Now I have no choice to be see and heard.          I hear people say all the time "don't worry, you got this". Or "stop worrying so much you'll do fine". I know these people think they mean well by giving me encouragement, and I appreciate it.  But in actuality they do more damage than good. Heavy already right? Well let me explain..... A sermon of the word of the Lord is different than that of secular lecture or didactic speech. Although some  folk get nervous speaking in front of large crowds to give a  presentation or a motivational intervention in a AA meeting, try standing where I and many others who feel like me stand and speak Gods word to the listeners soul....... How heavy is that?        Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this is a burden. In fact, after having finishing the message and getting the eager listeners engulfed I the word, the anxiety leaves. The expressions on their faces are priceless and the embraces after service are warm and heart felt. Most of the time the Lord blocks out their faces so i cant see anyone anyway. That is an experience all in itself. One that i have yet to explain. Maybe its at that moment that the holy spirit (thank you Jesus!!) takes over. I often hear "thanks Rev, I needed to hear that." and that does well with my soul to know that I've touched someone else's soul. Hopefully they heard the message and go out and apply what they've learned to their life the way God intended.        Funny story, I just realized this morning that I was so nervous last Sunday, and I've rehearsed this hundreds of times, I was so nervous that I forgot the customary intro and I didn't give honor where honor is due. I guess the word was so powerful that the saints forgot to remind me too huh? Well, I thought it was funny because it's a week later and I'm just now coming down from the high of preaching and I just remembered that I forgot the intro. Don't think anyone is mad at me for that. And since God already knew I was going to forget, he probably already laughed at this and looked ate and said "I Knew it". Lol.      Well saints. Time to get ready for church.  Service starts @12pm at Your Will Christian Ministries and pastor is probably on his way to get us. Yes people, my pastor his so anointed, he is still humble enough to drive his own van to come pick us up for church. Talk about service. I love my family in the ministry and all my brothers and sisters in Christ.      Hope you enjoyed this testimony and shared a laugh. Take care.  Enjoy your church service today & be blessed.                             ~Rev. Tyrone Birch~       

2 comments:

  1. don't worry about it. it happens to all of us from time to time. either way, you preached a good message.

    ReplyDelete